Training Location: Lena Pope Amon Carter Center – Mabee Hall located at 3200 Sanguinet in Fort Worth, TX 76107
The Adult Needs and Strengths Assessment (ANSA) and the Child and Adolescent Needs and Strengths Assessment (CANS) are communimetric tools that are used by providers to help structure the treatment planning and review process. The ANSA is a multi-purpose tool developed for an adult's behavioral health services to support decision making, including level of care and service planning, to facilitate quality improvement initiatives, and to allow for the monitoring of outcomes of services. The CANS Comprehensive version of Texas is an open domain assessment tool for the use in service delivery systems that address the mental health of children, adolescents and their families. It was developed to support care planning and level of care decision making, to facilitate quality improvement efforts and to allow for the monitoring of outcomes of services. It facilitates the linkage between the assessment process of identifying the needs and strength of the child and the caregiver and the creation of individualized service plans and the selection of evidence based practices used.
For additional information on the ANSA, please see: https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/mhsa/trr/cans/
For additional information on the CANS, please see: https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/mhsa/trr/cans/
To become trained/certified on the CANS or ANSA, please go to: http://www.TCOMtraining.com
For any questions regarding online certification, TCOMtraining.com site access, coupons, or problems registering for TCOMTraining.com, please email: email@example.com
NOTE: Centralized Training does NOT oversee TCOMtraining.com. For questions or concerns regarding ANSA or CANS online only certification available on TCOMtraining.com please contact the Praed Foundation via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To become certified as a ANSA or CANS SuperUser you must attend a face to face training. For SuperUser (face to face) training, please see the Upcoming Events available on this website for any scheduled workshops.
CANS and ANSA Local Expert (Super User) Training
This one-day training will enhance the knowledge of certified users by developing skills in using the instrument(s) to engage individuals in care, translate identified needs into treatment/recovery goals, and monitor outcomes at the individual and local level. The CANS/ANSA Local Expert trainings will target team leads, supervisors, or staff members who will be designated as the "Local Expert" in the CANS or ANSA. Both the ANSA and CANS will be covered within this one-day training.
Prior to the in-person Super User training, all participants are required to complete and present the following 3 items. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ALL 3 ITEMS YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED INTO THE TRAINING. Please label each item below with your name.
1. A CANS or ANSA certification via the online training system that is provided by the Praed Foundation. This can be found at http://www.TCOMtraining.com. For coupon codes, please email the Praed Foundation directly at email@example.com. Note you must have a score of .80 or higher.
2. A vignette loosely based on a case/person, or cases/persons you know and complete the CANS or ANSA on the vignette that you created. When scoring the vignette, you must also write a rationale for each preferred score. Bring your vignette, scoring and rationale with you as it will be as an activity in the training. If you don't bring a vignette and scored CANS or ANSA you will be unable to participate and will not be allowed to continue with the training.
3. An “elevator or introductory speech to the CANS/ANSA” – Per Dr. Lyons this is the remoralization message. It is Jerome Franklin’s description of the first stage of therapy. Therapy won’t work unless the person first believes that it can work. Training won’t work unless the trainee first believes that is it important for them to learn the approach.
You may register for the workshop prior to completing the above prerequisites, but must complete steps 1, 2 and 3 prior to the in-person Super User training.
**Dr. Fernando also requests each participant be prepared to:
• Present the 6 key characteristics to a small group.
• Develop a plan for care/Treatment plan for the vignette you created. You will be given time during the training to create this and will be able to submit it up to a week after the training.