Training Location: Emergence Health Network located at One San Jacinto Tower 201 East Main Street, Suite 600 El Paso, TX 79901
The Adult Needs and Strengths Assessment (ANSA) and the Child and Adolescent Needs and Strengths Assessment (CANS) are communimetric tools that are used by providers to help structure the treatment planning and review process. The ANSA is a multi-purpose tool developed for an adult's behavioral health services to support decision making, including level of care and service planning, to facilitate quality improvement initiatives, and to allow for the monitoring of outcomes of services. The CANS Comprehensive version of Texas is an open domain assessment tool for the use in service delivery systems that address the mental health of children, adolescents and their families. It was developed to support care planning and level of care decision making, to facilitate quality improvement efforts and to allow for the monitoring of outcomes of services. It facilitates the linkage between the assessment process of identifying the needs and strength of the child and the caregiver and the creation of individualized service plans and the selection of evidence based practices used.
For additional information on the ANSA, please see: https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/mhsa/trr/cans/
For additional information on the CANS, please see: https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/mhsa/trr/cans/
To become trained/certified on the CANS or ANSA, please go to:https://www.schoox.com/academy/CANSAcademy/register
For any questions regarding online certification, TCOMtraining.com site access, coupons, or problems registering for TCOMTraining.com, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: Centralized Training does NOT oversee Praed Foundation Collaborative Training Website. For questions or concerns regarding ANSA or CANS online only certification available on Praed Foundation Collaborative Training Website please contact the Praed Foundation via email: email@example.com
To become certified as a ANSA or CANS SuperUser you must attend a face to face training. For SuperUser (face to face) training, please see the Upcoming Events available on this website for any scheduled workshops.
CANS and ANSA Local Expert (Super User) Training
This one-day training will enhance the knowledge of certified users by developing skills in using the instrument(s) to engage individuals in care, translate identified needs into treatment/recovery goals, and monitor outcomes at the individual and local level. The CANS/ANSA Local Expert trainings will target team leads, supervisors, or staff members who will be designated as the "Local Expert" in the CANS or ANSA. Both the ANSA and CANS will be covered within this one-day training.
Prior to the in-person Super User training, all participants are required to complete and present the following 5 items. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ALL 5 ITEMS YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED INTO THE TRAINING. Please label each item below with your name.
1. Certification at the Trainer Level. Achieve a certification score of .80 or higher on the CANS/ANSA. This should be done on https://www.schoox.com/academy/CANSAcademy/register. For coupon codes, please email the Praed Foundation directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Write an example of Key Principles (#3-#6) of a Communimetric tool. You do not need to write an example for “Principle # 1 – Items impact service planning” or “Principle # 2 – Item’s ratings translate into Action Levels.”). Please note: You will need to write two examples for Principle #3 – one illustrating culture and one illustrating development. This will total 6 examples.
Sample: Principle #5 – It’s about the individual, not service.
Johnny is a 16 year-old who regularly uses alcohol and heroin and frequently runs away from home. He has stolen money from his friends and family in the past, and recently tried to sell his parent’s car for drugs. Johnny was placed in a rehab facility by his parents 5 months ago where he has been a model client. Prior to entering rehab he was placed in the hospital for a heroin overdose. Johnny is going to be discharged from the rehab program next week.
Question: How would you rate Substance Use for Johnny as he leaves the rehab program?
3. Write a vignette. Using the Ratings and Rationale Worksheet, provide action levels for each item, along with accompanying rationale. The rationale should come directly from the vignette. Approximately half of the items should be rated actionable (i.e., ‘2’ or ‘3’).
The TCOM Training team has provided us with an excel form that they are requiring learners use for the submission of their ratings and rationale for the vignette you were asked to bring to the workshop. The excel form includes a sheet for both the ANSA and CANS, please select the respective sheet for your vignette. You can update the excel file to match your manual items.
To access the excel form, please log in to your www.centralizedtraining.com account and follow these steps:
• Click on ANSA & CANS Super User – February 26, 2019.
• Click on the Certified Trainer Forms folder
• Click on TX Vignette Ratings and Rationale ALL versions
• Complete either the TX CANS Comp or Texas ANSA dependent on your vignette
• Be sure to add the Vignette Name and your name as the Author at the top of the form
• Upon completion of the ratings and rationale, print and attach this form to your vignette
• Bring both the vignette and TX Vignette Ratings and Rationale form with you to the workshop
4. Write a Service/Treatment Plan. Using the vignette (with ratings) that you created, develop a treatment plan from the TCOM Framework using the Treatment Planning Worksheet.
5. TCOM and CANS/ANSA Introduction. Prepare your introduction on TCOM and the CANS/ANSA. This should be short (elevator speech) and in your own words. These introductions will be presented in small groups and then submitted.